Sunday, March 06, 2011

I have not lived in a rural setting for more than a couple of days. However my friends during my M.Sc. days in Mysore tried educating me on the ways of peasants and how village life is. This apart, i've been repeatedly told that people from villages migrate to towns and cities in search of money and bread. And labourers are hard to come by these days.

If this is the case, whatever will happen to our agricultural practices. Seriously, if everybody comes to universities, gain degrees and get 'educated' in a sense of the word, who will farm our lands, and do everything else connected to it?

If i'm not wrong, most of our small-scale and cottage industries are also suffering due to this trend (very sad, significant traditions are also lost this way). No wonder, the prices of Ikat sarees have almost doubled in a span of three/four years.

1 comment:

shruthihegde said...

This reminds me of the movie 'Peepli live' which addresses a similar problem...