Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Falsities....

Life poses many false instants....the one which occupies......the No. 1...according to me are the external appearances to which man is an easy prey....despite having been not to fall into the trap......time and again.

Here are some of my instants......be it, amusing, entertaining, embaressing, or a learning experience.....

As usual...travelling in a BMTC bus, heading towards Race Course Road....for my Arts class.....the bus was crowded. Crowded with the people or the fragnances of various flowers....jaji...mallige.....chandu huvu....kanakambri.....posing to be a riot of colours to my tired eyes. It was about 3:45...when the flower-mongers travel from market to their respective abodes. On the way, they weave garlands...... with a mixture of betel leaves, lime and arecanuts, painting their tongues red. Talking incessantly......dark skinned, an effect of the burning sun....red bindis in the middle of their foreheads....make space for me to seat myself...rather uncomfortably.

I normally avoid sitting next to them......regarding the dirtiness of their saree.....their feets...caked with dust....on the other hand....i sat down as an elderly lady made space for me. I sat waiting for my stop....it being pretty near....does not usually take more than teh minutes....fifteen on the max. Dressed in my faded blue jeans...and a T-shirt...she gave me smile......and started talking. She had alreday done about two molas' of fresh mallige....the beautiful smell emanating from it was heavenly. She asked me if i would like to buy a mola or two...to which i politely declined.....the next moment....she substantiates my refusal by stating that i would not like to wear them in my hair. I was indeed surprised by her saying so.......thinking that these moffusil people too have gripped the essentiailties if globalisation.

The department of chemistry, MCC.

As usual.....almost the whole of the aforesaid dept. knows me. Sometimes I do wonder.....why is that all the teachers have to know me....irrespective of where I go!!!!

Figuring out the radicals.......or trying to with the salt mixture that I had got was proving to be difficult. It was one of those initial days. I was pretty successful.....one could say.....Shanti comes up....starts talking to me....I proceed with my job. Sudha sits down....they both get into small talk. And the subject is me....as I realise after a few moments. It can be irritating to hear 2 lecturers speak about you under your nose.....and i did listen. Thankfully....only good stuff was exchanged about me...like how attentive I am in class.....and so on. I was later whooping with joy....obviously silently though i would have liked to scream and shout. Straight away...I began to love the chemistry dept.. According to me, it is the only sane dept. in college.

No comments: